If you are planning a Chongqing package tour,you should know some Chongqing facts,our Chongqing travel guide give you some Chongqing facts,which can make your Chongqing China tour easier.
Chongqing is one of four municipalities in China, large cities that are not part of a province but report directly to the national government; it is the only municipality not located on the east coast.
Chongqing municipality is technically the largest city in China in surface area and therefore could be defined better as a "provincial" municipality due to its massive size. While independent since 1997, it was historically and culturally part of south east Sichuan and still shares the same love for hot and spicy food dishes, so you can also enjoy delicious dishes in Chongqing if you want to taste Sichuan cuisine during your Chongqing tour packages. First, let’s know something about Chongqing.
- Name: Chongqing (重庆; Chóngqìng (/chong-ching/)
- Meaning: "repeated celebration"
- Previous names: Jiang, Yu, Gong
- One of the biggest municipalities in the world
- Big inland port on the Yangtze River above the Three Gorges Dam
- Heavy industry center that utilizes the power from the Three Gorges Dam
- The city sits at the confluence of the Jialing River and Yangtze River.
- The rivers made it China's biggest port city in the southwestern region.
- 316 BC The Qin Empire conquered the area.
- 1891 The city was opened to foreigners.
- 1997 The government merged Chongqing with several surrounding districts and made Chongqing a very large municipality. The Three Gorges Dam opened.
- Significance of city: It is an inland port city far inland, and access to cheap power and cheap labor makes the city a leader in heavy industry.
- Nearby cities: Chengdu (268 km/166 mi), Guiyang (306 km/190 mi), Zunyi (192 km/119 mi)
- Municipality terrain: the city sits on many hills on the Sichuan plain at the confluence of the Jialing River and Yangtze River.
- Average altitude: 237 meters (778 feet)
- Main rivers: Yangtze River, Jialing River
- Average highest temperature in August: 34 °C (93 °F)
- Average lowest temperature in January: 6 °C (42 °F)
- Monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate; annual precipitation:1,140 mm (45 in). The city is known for hot and humid summers and smog.
- Average annual income: 23,909 RMB (3,554 USD)
- Development: developing; the government plans to make Chongqing and Chengdu develop quickly.
- Industry: 37.9% tertiary industry (services), 52.8% secondary (heavy industry: mainly automobiles, steel, aluminium and military equipment), 9.3% primary (agriculture, mining)
- CBD: Central Park (31.31N, 120.66E) in the Suzhou CBD
- Shopping streets: Jiefangbei Pedestrian Street, Shapingba Three Gorges Walking Street, Guanyinqiao Walking Street
- Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport serves about 16 million passengers annually.
- 3 line metro system (a fourth line is scheduled to be opened in 2012)
- 5 regular railroad lines pass through the city.
- 1 ring road expressway
- Yangtze River cruises to Wuhan or Shanghai are popular for sightseeing.
Yangtze River cruises
Three Gorges, Dazu Grottoes, Wulong Karst Region, Ciqikou Old Town, Fengdu Ghost City, Lesser Three Gorges, Zigong Dinosaur Museum, Three Gorges Museum
Most popular souvenirs and local products
Shu embroidery (Sichuan style embroidery), Jiangjin Rice Confection, Fuling Pickles
Most popular food
Red chili hot pot
Chongqing China travel is welcomed by many foreign travelers, especially those who love to eat hotpot and spicy dishes. Come to Chongqing and enjoy the exciting feeling brought by red chili. It would be an unforgettable experience for the rest of your life.