Xian, steeped in history and still giving up secrets, is your gateway to ancient Chinese civilization. In its 3,100 recorded years of evolution, it has been home to 13 dynasties, including the Zhou, Qin, Han, the Sui, and Tang dynasties, periodically from the 11th century B.C. to the early 10th century AD. As one of the most important cradles of Chinese civilization, it marked the start of the famous "Silk Road" that linked China with central Asia and the Roman Empire. If you want a perfect XIan tour, check the Xian travel guide to find out where to go and what to do.
- Called the birthplace of China's civilization
- The capital city of 13 imperial dynasties
- The main eastern terminus of the ancient Silk Road
- Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum
- Capital city of 13 empires and 73 emperors
- 1066 BC The first Zhou emperor made Fenghao the capital of the Zhou Empire
- 771 BC Much of Fenghao was destroyed, and the capital was moved eastwards
- 221 BC Emperor Qin Shihuang made Xianyang the capital of his large empire
- 202 BC Liu Bang emerged as emperor of the Han Dynasty and made Chang'an his capital city
- 582 AD Sui Empire emerged with Daxing as its capital
- 618 Tang Empire begins with Chang'an as its capital city. It became of the world's largest cities at that time
- 904 Chang'an was destroyed. After this, Chang'an is never again an imperial capital city
Significance of city: Many dynasties from about 3,000 to 1,000 years ago had their capital city here, so it can be called the fountainhead of civilization for China. The city influenced the west via the Silk Road.
- Nearby cities: Xianyang (21 km/13 mi), Luoyang (374 km/232 mi), Lanzhou (647 km/402 mi)
- Municipality terrain: Wei River and Qingling Mountains; mostly alluvial plain
- Average altitude: 405 (1,329 feet)
- Main rivers: Wei River
Most Popular Food
Antiques, Cultural Artworks, Reproductions of Terracotta Army Figures, Peasant Paintings, Paper Cuttings
Xi’an China travel is very popular with many travelers. Here, you can see ancient Chinese civilization and feel Chinese time-honored history. I believe you have had a burning desire to go there and see the ancient city by yourselves. Our Xian travel guide wish you a good journey.